Thursday, August 13, 2015

Strawberry and Flaxseed Smoothie



I was at someone's house recently and noticed she had a Nutribullet which reminded me of my much cheaper jug blender which I got as a birthday present from my friend Jane when I was at university - so that was about 15 years ago and it's still going strong! I hardly ever make smoothies as I just don't have time in the mornings, and smoothies to me are really a breakfast drink. I usually end up making a cup of tea in the mornings, only having time to drink half before I have to leave to get my train, and having breakfast at my desk at work which is usually a yogurt, or cereal if I remember to put some cereal in a Tupperware container to take with me!

But I had some strawberries that needed using up, plus a couple of over-ripe bananas - we are still getting a fruit basket every week at work and whenever there are some black bananas left at the end, my boss puts them on my desk as he knows I can bake with them!



I also had some soya milk left over from when a vegan friend came to stay and thought the creamy flavour and thicker texture (as I usually buy skimmed milk which is very thin) would be lovely in a smoothie.

I also had some flaxseed in the back of a cupboard; flaxseed is incredibly good for you as it's an anti-oxidant and good for your heart, blood pressure, is a source of fibre and all sorts of other things too.



So into the blender went the soya milk, strawberries, banana and flaxseed.



I also added a squeeze of agave nectar (a vegan honey substitute) for a little sweetness. I tested it and added a little more milk to thin it down and decided I really ought to make smoothies more often!


Smoothies are a good way to use up leftover fruit which is going soft; for that reason I'm sharing this with Credit Crunch Munch, hosted by Charlene at Food Glorious Food on behalf of Camilla at Fab Food 4 All and Helen at Fuss Free Flavours.



0 comments:

Post a Comment